High Level EU Conference
“The European Defence Fund – Driving Factor for Defence Research and Innovation”
New ways – new means – new funds
Vienna, 2 October 2018, 09:30 – 17:30
The proposal for the next Multiannual Financial Framework for the first time includes an overarching instrument to support European defence research and capability development, the European Defence Fund (EDF). The EDF is one of several initiatives launched by the European Union to boost and strengthen European security and defence, such as the Coordinated Annual Review of Defence (CARD) and the Permanent Structured Cooperation (PESCO).
The European Commission’s proposal dedicates a EUR 13 billion budget for the EDF to support cross-border cooperative partnerships on defence research and development (R&D). It aims to boost common defence capability priorities identified by the Member States, notably those defined in the revised Capability Development Plan (CDP) and the Overarching Research Agenda (OSRA). The Fund will foster the competitiveness, efficiency and capacity to innovate the European defence industry.
During the Austrian EU Presidency the negotiations regarding the EDF are entering a decisive phase. To contribute to the ongoing policy development process, Austria is hosting a high-level conference to discuss the European Commission’s legislative proposal.
This event offers a timely opportunity and ideal platform for a comprehensive discourse between the various stakeholders. It is also designed to focus on opportunities and challenges of this unprecedented initiative and the development of potential strategies to deal with it.
The main conference goals are to…
- …present the reasoning behind the Commission’s ambition to strengthen European defence and the European Defence Technological and Industrial Base (EDTIB) ) with the current legislative proposal for the EDF.
- …highlight the contribution of defence R&D, strengthened by the EDF, for preparing Europe’s armed forces for their future tasks.
- …analyse the potential and opportunities of the integration of defence research and capability development in a single programme and identify how this can have a positive impact on the European defence industrial cycle.
- …explore challenges for stakeholders as well as the potential strategies that will enable them to benefit from the new initiatives.
- …address opportunities, initiatives and experiences to set up competitive and innovative defence ecosystems across different sectors.
- …outline the synergies between the European Defence Fund and other EU instruments.
- …review the Fund’s focus on supporting SMEs and examine the opportunities for them to benefit from the Fund.